29.10.09

Photo Reflection


Honolulu Airport 178
Originally uploaded by cristalkit02
I took this photo in 2007. It was in late June or early July I believe. This is a photo of my father, Manuel holding my nephew Gabriel as we were leaving the Buddhist temple in Oahu

My family and I went to Hawaii to enjoy the summer over there for a week. We stayed in Oahu for the most part and went to visit Maui for a day.

Looking back on this photo, it brings so many memories of the time we all spent and all of what happened the year of 2005. In '05 I finished high school. But what always remains in my heart is when my grandfather passed away that year. I was heart broken, it had been a long time coming but I didn't think it would've have happened around my graduation.

The rest of that year was kind of dramatic for me as well. My sister became pregnant and one of my best friends was going through a very serious situation. I would elaborate on it, but I don't want to invade their privacy, nor am I comfortable discussing every detail. All i can say is that naturally, I became affected by all of this. Juggling school and trying to be there for everyone was tiring me out.

But by the summer of 2006 everything seemed to turn around for the best. My friend had finally gotten her life in order and was away from the negativity that had left a dark cloud over her head for most of 2005. On June 10, 2006, I distinctly remember getting a call from my little sister, while I was in the middle of watching The Omen at the movie theaters. Of course I thought nothing of it and just let the phone ring (silent mode, that is, because i'm courteous). Then she sent me a text "Where are you?! Lisa's water broke!" My first thoughts "Oh shit! you guys we have to go! My sister's water broke!" So we all joined together and met up at the hospital.

It was just me and my best friends and my direct family. The ones who held it down for me that whole past year. The ones who I've stood by and supported like no other. All united at a hospital to witness the birth of my nephew. Gabriel Guillermo Flores.

Funny thing is, my sister ended up staying in labor for about 33hrs! lol So we left the movie for nothing and my sister had to deliver by Cesarean operation. Go figure! =) But waiting for the birth was that moment in which everything just made sense to me, I was in a calm and happy state of mind. I felt centered and whole as odd and confusing as that may sound.

The rest of 2006 was spent cherishing every precious moment I had with my family and the addition to our life. We all bonded more with him around. He was the reason to our smiles, to our joy, to our laughter. He was the reason we became a stronger unit more than ever. My sister believes in reincarnation and she felt that Gabriel was a reincarnation of my grandfather, hence, she gave him the 2nd name, Guillermo, in honor of my grandfather. That year went by so quick! Its amazing how fast babies grow up! I think we have enough documentation of his first year =)

So this photo shows me how far we've come along as a family and how good of friends I had at that time in my life. Its so great to look at this photo and remember all the times we shared in Hawaii that summer as a whole considering all that happened the years prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment